Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Toby's Visit

The other evening I had a wonderful visit from Toby. Toby is both a friend and a co-worker who happens to live near by. Words to describe Toby are: energetic, intelligent, mentor, enthusiasm, caring, funny, giving, open, adventurous, and many more. She is one very cool person.

Another word for Toby is survivor. She has survived her own bout with cancer and has been very open about it with others, including me. I look at Toby as a "sort-of" mentor in getting me through chemo. When I first spoke with her about my diagnosis, she offered up the greatest piece of advice which I have definitely taken to heart. Her advice was "take it one thing at a time." She followed it with words to the effect of not trying to look at the entire challenge and all the steps, appointments, procedures, treatments, etc. as a whole, because it becomes overwhelming. This little piece of advice has helped in so many ways.

So Toby has been reading this blog and decided to bring me an excellent care package that included Carnation Instant Breakfast, herbal teas, a stuffed mascot with the wildest hair style one could imagine (Toby wrote that she hoped my hair did not come back like the mascot's), and a great book titled "The 2,548 Best Things Anyone Ever Said." So in light of the book and Toby's advice I'll leave you with a quote in the book that I feel is appropriate.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis."
- Margaret Bonnano


Thanks Toby!

No comments: