Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Recovery Week 2 - So Far

Recovery week so far has had it's ups and downs, which is to be expected. Essentially my team & I have been battling a very low grade fever all week. However, we kind of expected it as I'm taking Nupegon shots daily. One of the side effects can be a raised temperature. Nupegon is a white blood cell enhancer, thus the need for it after my last chemo experience. All this said, I want to emphasize that in comparison, Recovery Week 2 (RW2) is going much better than RW1. As of today (Weds in the week), during RW1 I was in a fetal position, with a temperature that landed me in the hospital. This time around, I was able to take a walk around the neighborhood, ingest food and drink, hold an actual conversation, and smile. In addition, I'm actually having lucid thoughts (I'm sure this a shocker to many of those reading along!). The world is just plainly much better this time around. However, I'm not yet trying to be overtly confident yet, as this is still uncharted territory.



My care team this week has consisted of the Joan (the ultimate stabilizer in this go around), with help from a myriad of others. Those that had scheduled to stay with me (Dave-o, Pete, E-man, and Katherine) and those that are administering my shots at home (Joe, Pam, Cindy, & Vernie). The shot givers are a big help in that 1st they are all registered nurses; 2nd I'm a big wimp when it comes to shots; 3rd I've had a bunch of volunteers that are ready to administer a little pain my way in the form un-trained shot givers; and 4th I don't think I could do it to myself, which is the way that it is prescribed. Have I mentioned that I hate shots (and I'm a big wimp)!



My care team also took it upon themselves to, shall I say, de-clutter my house, clean out my garden, straighten up my garage, re-arrange my pantry, do my laundry, and probably some other things that I have yet to discover. Unbelievable! Those that have been to the house may not recognize the place any more!



Any way, the help and support over the past 1-1/2 weeks has been amazing. People rallying with their talents and efforts has been tremendous. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I'm a lucky and blessed man. Life is good (even if I'm not feeling totally human at a given moment).



PS: The Olympics has been a great distraction too. GO WORLD!

1 comment:

Subcom Mark said...

Steve,
You are in my thoughts every day and thank you for keeping us informed with your blog. I was watching men's olympic volleyball last night and it brought back images of you and me on the Toads team from our early days at DTMB. Me setting the ball in perfect position and you with towering jumps above the net and powerfull kills. Hey, it was a long time ago that's how i remember it. Of course the highlight was when Al Muise presented me with a "rookie of the year" trophy! Anyway, glad to see you're done with round 2 and that you have such good support. I do want to say that I am having some "concerns" about your new girlfriend Ethel that I'll pass along another time. Stay stong!
mark