Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Improvements - Some More of Them

I'm now a few days into my "normal week." I've gone to work the last couple of days, my white blood cell count is back to normal, I can eat, and I feel human again. It sure feels great to be back again!

So, its time to review some of the positives that have happened to me having gone through 2 rounds of chemo. These are symptoms that have improved so far. In this me versus cancer "soccer" game, it looks like I'm scoring more goals. So here are some descriptions of these goals.

1. Prior to chemo I had a constant pain in my chest. It was gone after Chemo 1 and remains gone still.

2. I can still swallow more in one gulp than prior to chemo.

3. I have an appetite and feel hungry, which hasn't happened for a couple months now. This is new after Chemo 2.

4. I have actually been able to eat chicken. Sunday evening I ate a couple of chicken enchiladas and tonight I ate some of my mom's famous chicken paprikash. I even went back for seconds. To put this in perspective, I have not had any meat for quite sometime as it was too difficult and painful to swallow. So this is major to me!

5. I have gained weight since last week. (Yeah me!)

Please excuse me while I celebrate these goals as if it were a soccer game on Telemundo:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!

Thanks for indulging me, I needed that!

So, bottom line, there is improvement in my cancer battle. Given the "fun" that is chemotherapy, it's great to see progress. My oncology surgeon surmises that these symptom improvements are indicators of the tumor shrinking. I'm a believer in this. Thus, I feel empowered to tackle the next round of chemo and I am looking forward to the next symptom improvement afterwards.

No comments: