Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Improvements

I've noticed that in my recent writings that there has been a lot of focus on events surrounding my treatments and the help that I've been getting. So I thought that I'd write about a couple of symptom improvements in that came from the 1st round of chemo. These are very exciting to me, although they may seem somewhat mundane to the overtly healthy types.

First improvement noticed during my normal week (the 2nd week after turning Ethel in) was that swallowing seemed easier. I was able get down larger amounts without pain or discomfort. Although I have not ventured to try a steak! This of course made eating easier and less time consuming. I was also able to gain 3 - 4 lbs that week.

The second improvement was the the loss of a seemingly constant pain/ache in my chest at the base of my sternum. This pain had been persistent for about a month to 6 weeks prior to chemo and would really hurt whenever I hiccuped. However it seems to have disappeared, hopefully for good.

I look upon this as a couple of accomplishments on my road to victory, kind of like scoring a couple of goals in a soccer game. Although the game is not over yet, the goals certainly add to the momentum that can lead to victory. I like the advantage this gives me. Life is good!

Can't wait to see what accomplishments this chemo round brings.

3 comments:

AMPSman said...

Hey tough guy, found out about your blog the other day. Janet Wells provided me the address on her email the other day. Miss the old Hawaii days but liked your red dirt T-shirt on the photograph. Sitting in the chair sort of reminds me of the AMPS days when there was little to do but wait for the next electrical problem. Don't know if it's possible, but I think you look better with the hair cut.

I was by the east end last week a couple of times. Missed talking to you. Will continue to poke my head in to say hi to your desk. Look forward to having a beer in the near future.

Glad to hear there are signs of improvements. Small steps are a good thing.

Had another week with Dave C. this week. Dave always makes it interesting. Sure makes retirement look sweet. Come on Sept 2009.

Say hi to your pretty girl friend for me although she probably doesn't remember me. Olivia sends her best and says to say hi to you as well.

Oh well enough boring talk. Keep your spirits up. Times will get better. Best wishes as always, thoughts and prayers are with you. Let me know if I can give you a laugh at my expense in any small way. 'Life is Good'...Get Well Soon.

Warmest Regards,
Jack

Unknown said...

Great to talk to you the other night. By now you probably heard from Dennis O'Brien. He missed the original e-mail. Something's goofy in cyberspace. You had his e-mail address correct. I sent you a follow up you never got. Oh well, internet hasn't been the same since Al Gore left office.

;-)

Mark Sept. 13th on your calendar. Our 30th SJC Reunion!!! Tell Ethel and the rest of your treatment team you need to have a good day that Saturday. Transportation's all arranged.

Orti

Unknown said...

not many people are happy about gaining a few pounds; you should be proud!