Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

On this Thanksgiving I find that I have much to be thankful for despite what the fates have thrown at me this year. Through all this adversity, there have been many wonderful revelations and experiences. So, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the ones that come to mind right off the bat.


First, I have to give thanks for my family, loved ones and friends. These are the people that have literally carried me through my toughest times. They have been there when I needed help at a doctor’s office with an extra set of ears. They have been there during chemo, and helped me through the its side effects. They have also been there through surgery and the joy of recovery from it. Now they are helping me through radiation. I love each and every one of you. Thanks!


I also must give thanks for my colleagues. These are the folks that have filled in for me at work and have made it possible for me to convalesce without worries. These folks have taken on added responsibilities without my asking, but rather at their insistence when I announced my cancer adventure. Thanks!


My fellow coaches deserve my gratitude! My son, Stephen and Steve Patterson made sure that the “Greatest 4th, 5th, & 6th Grade Gils Soccer Team” were able to continue in my absence without missing a beat. In fact, they had a better record without me there than with me attending and coaching. Way to go coaches. Thanks!


I want to express my thanks to my kids who have adjusted to these crazy times that have been forced on us. Fortunately they are thriving through this, which helps keep the number of my worries down. Thanks!


I must express gratitude to all my physicians. Their knowledge, dedication, and encouragement along with their honesty has helped me through this medical experience and I’m sure has saved my life. Thanks!


Lastly, I want to give thanks for all that I have learned & discovered this year. This year will probably go down as one of the most trying and toughest of my life. However it is also one of the greatest learning experiences of my life also. I have learned much about meeting challenges, about patience, about friendship, and adversity. I have learned that no person is an island, and many times we do not face challenges alone. I have learned that a well timed hug is worth its weight in gold. I have also learned of how many friends that I have, and it’s a great deal more than I thought. I have learned that with the right attitude you can overcome most limitations. I have learned that prayer, best wishes, and offers of help truly generate positive energy that one can feel. I have learned that I have helped others by sharing my cancer adventure openly. I have learned that there are many following along with my adventure, and that I love the comments to this blog. I have learned that I can get through a lot and still not loose hope, but rather keep my spirits high. I have learned that there are times I feel low and that others are there to pick me up. I have learned the fun of rediscovering simple things, like the joy of foods that I enjoy.


Through all this learning, the one thing that has been confirmed is the credo of this blog … Life is Good!


So for all this and so much more, I must give thanks and a big fat smile!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.


1 comment:

Joanne said...

Good luck with Ethel this week!

Joanne