Sunday, November 23, 2008

One Down, 24 To Go

So I had my very first radiation treatment today. It is quite the experience. Essentially the whole thing feels like a production line. It is efficient in process, and they keep the patients coming and going as if you were getting a spray-on tan at a very popular tanning salon. The routine starts with checking in using a scanner. I was issued a card last week with my individualized bar code, which upon scanning puts my name in the cue for having arrived. I do have a daily time (9:50 in the morning) as my appointment. After checking in, I head over to the locker room where I change into a hospital gown (fortunately I get to keep my pants on so as to avoid mooning the masses). Then I get to sit in the locker room waiting area until summoned by the mysterious voice over the loudspeaker. Next up, the waiting area just outside the radiation room. At this facility there are 2 radiation rooms, and thus 2 teams of technicians. I am working with the Alpha team (or more commonly known as the A-Team, although I haven't seen Mr. T as of yet). When the patient before me is finished, I get to step in and get situated on the table. While I am lying on the table, the technicians move my body about to align it correctly so that the radiation beams will hit the target area correctly. My job is to lie perfectly still for the next 10 minutes or so. Pretty tough stuff but somebody has to do it! After alignment, the machine takes over. It hit me with radiation from my front side, then my back side, and the lastly from my left side. Upon finishing, I get up, head out and get changed back into the rest of my cloths and head on on my way. That's about it!

Well that's not everything completely. Here's a couple of observations from a first timer.

I had a bit of an ironic event as I was set to go in for my 1st ever radiation treatment. The lady who had just gotten her treatment before me was coming out of the radiation room all smiles. It seems she had just completed her last treatment and was dancing a jig. I'll be there soon, just 24 more of these to go (with one more chemo week in there too).

Just before I was to get my first dosage, the technician told me that I wouldn't feel a thing. Great news considering some of the things I have felt during this cancer adventure. Well she was almost right. Upon the radiation starting, I did feel a pretty different sort of sensation. It was like my entire body was next to a wool sweater in the dead of winter, and the static electricity cause my hair to stand on end. Very weird feeling indeed. So as I was walking out, the same tech asked how it went. I told her about the sensation and her response was to say that that was quite out of the ordinary. Well, at least I get to say that I'm special in my own way yet again.

So my road to health continues and radiation is now a part of my life experiences and will be for a while. I guess we'll get to see where this treatment takes me. Should be interesting!

4 comments:

Joanne said...

You are a trooper! I'm glad the radiation isn't as bad as the chemo, and that it doesn't involve any Ethels!

Joanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, Lori's friend Jenny here...I had been told a very good tip with my radiation...take a bottle of pure aloe vera gel everyday (which you can buy at the drug store) and smear it on after every radiation. I never got burned which many do as you get more into it. Hope to meet you Thanksgiving weekend.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Pista - way to go. Still thinking of you and praying you'll be back on the soccer field soon.

Have you experimented with seaweed salads yet? Seaweed is good for the "day after" radiation and chemo to get the stuff out of your body. Check with your doctor first.

Keep charging.

-rose d.

Teresa said...

Steve,

I echo Joanne's sentiment, you ARE a trooper!

This Thanksgiving we are thinking about you and your family and holding you in our thoughts and prayers!

Hugs,

Teri