Sunday, November 9, 2008

Event(s) and Discovery

Tomorrow starts the fun again! Chemo happens, Cisplatnum goes in, Ethel comes back, and my family & friends have signed up yet again to help me out. As Toby says, "Take it one event at a time!" So the next event is chemo.

The respite that I just had from fighting and feeling like kaka, thus allowing me to just focus on recovery was indeed great! I had time to enjoy the "Greatest 4th, 5th, & 6th Grade Girls Soccer Team" finishing out their season in the playoffs and their end of season soccer party; time to enjoy my son's and older daughter's soccer season finales; time to coach a couple of my men's soccer team games; time to get together with friends & family socially; and yes, believe it or not, time to enjoy going back to work; I even had a chance to enjoy the wonderful wedding of a couple of friends yesterday. Now this time is being interrupted by the reality of tomorrow's chemo start. But I've learned to cherish the good times and the times of normalcy during this respite. That indeed is pretty cool!

The other times that I've learned to enjoy more is the times of discovery. Lately, the times of discovery has a great deal to do with food. In the past week I've been able to try a few new things. Things tried were: beef, bacon wrapped scallops, mini crab cakes, Chilean sea bass (all of these at yesterday's wedding), barbecued chicken wings, baked beans (both of these at the work picnic), and Pepperage Farm's Verona cookies (a chance I took when comparing ingredients to other cookies I've been able to tolerate). I've grown to like cottage cheese, and peanut butter is starting to taste OK to me too. So the post surgical palette continues to expand. I hope that the cottage cheese will help carry me through chemo week & recovery week! I guess we'll see.

The other event to occur this week is "mapping." This is an event that has me going into the radiation office where I will be measured and locations for radiation targeting will be marked. I'm not sure, but I've been told that the marks are small tattoos. Basically dots are tattooed on you as markers for aiming the radiation beam. So it looks like I'll be joining the tattoo fad! I'll be just soooooo cool!

So this week looks to be a big week for me. It's the beginning of the final countdown of chemo treatments, the initiation of radiation treatments, and a time for more discovery. Oooops, sorry Toby, I guess that's looking at more than "one event at a time." Well, in light of that, let's just say that tomorrow starts chemo!

Remember, even when things seem mundane, appreciate it to its fullest, because ... Life is Good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Steve,
I just wanted you to know that I'm cheering for you and praying for you. I just celebrated five years as a survivor of Stage 3, Grade 3 cancer, and when I read what you've posted, it brings back so much of what I experienced, even though I had a far more common type of cancer. I can only imagine how you must feel at having to do chemo again. I once asked my nurse how she stood working with cancer patients every day, and she told me that most cancer patients have a far better sense of what is important in life than most people do. When I read what you've written, I know that you are one of those people. Hang in there! We will celebrate your five years and my ten years together.
Peace and joy,
Estelene Boratenski