Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Today (Weds of Chemo Week)

Its Wednesday of Chemo Week and so far things are going OK. As of this morning the side effects are minimal and I hoping this continues (knock on wood). In the past, Wednesday of Chemo Week was usually the pivotal day when I'd start to sink into the abyss. We'll see how this goes. Keep your fingers crossed.

Some more good news as of yesterday.

You may recall that when I was in the hospital, after the main surgery, a blood clot was discovered in the right side of my body. As a result, I have been on a blood thinner ever since called Lovenox. It is administered by a subcutaneous injection. Yep, also known as a shot, and I've said many times that I'm a shot wimp! Well to add to the joy of this, I had to administer these shots to myself twice a day (a real daily highlight). So here's the good news. I have successfully made the transition form Lovenox to Coumadin, a blood thinner taken orally. Yep, pills instead of shots! You talk about a reason for celebration. No more needles, no more wiping skin with alcohol swabs, no more pinching skin together for a target area, no more bruising and sores where the needle has gone in so many times, no more needle anxiety. Yippee!

Its these little victories that can feel so good at times. Life just keeps getting better!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No needles-that's a major milestone :) Make sure you eat!!!

Julie Roddin said...

Good news about the shots! Let me know if you're around this weekend, I have something for you :) Julie (julieopl@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve!

Congrats on getting off of the Lovenox shots! Believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about!

I, too, was on that ghastly stuff a few years ago during my hospital stay for clots on my lungs!

I did, though, finally find a good nurse who taught me the correct way to give the shots so that there was no pain & no bruising! That was wonderful .. but better yet, just ending the shots! (BTW, I still have a few needles full left over if you ever need them!)

I've also been continuing with the Coumadin even though they did tell me I had a choice to go off of it after the first year. I'm just still a little nervous about clots returning to my lungs!

Sooo That's my story!

Now .. let's hear more good news about you! Take good care of yourself, Steve!

Warmest regards,
Marilyn Knutson