Thursday, September 25, 2008

Post-surgery: Day 1

After a rather uncomfortable night, Steve is doing much better today. This morning some adjustments were made in his pain management, and he is resting more peacefully this afternoon. Procedure-wise, the doctors will be making sure his new "connection" is not leaking. Once that is determined, and depending on bed availability, he may even move to a step-down unit as soon as this evening or tomorrow morning.

His Mother and Sister have kept him good company thus far. According to Christy, he isn't quite up for visitors yet, but once out of the ICU he probably will welcome them. We will keep you posted on that.

As you'd expect, the ICU staff love having him. Even in the tough times he has maintained his good nature and kind spirit (and I'm guessing sense of humor, too!) to those around him.

And since Steve never forgets to thank those that have helped him, a special thanks goes out to Dr. St. Andre at WHC for turning things around for him this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We missed you at the reunion. Very good time connecting with men of wider wastes and thinning hair. Many, many send their regards. We prayed for you at Mass -- me, OB, Dennis Shannon, Sean English, Tim McDonough and many others -- celebrated by Father Tim Bellamah! Ed Ashe is jumping into your spot, keeping your seat on the golf cart warm while you recuperate. He, Dennis, my son Brad and I are playing golf next Friday at Army-Navy.

Somehow I got it in my head your surgery was the 28th. So you can ignore the voice mail I left you today as I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. As I sailed through Donegal, I remembered my first Seven Springs skiing adventure with the Ebner family, and returning a year or two later with you and your cousins. There's a nice Days Inn at the site of that long gone Motel.

Looking forward to visiting when you feel up to it.

Orti

Anonymous said...

Steve-O! Glad to hear that surgery went well and that you are resting better now. Thinking about you often and looking forward to visiting when you're up for it. Thanks, Lori, for keeping us all posted :)

-Katie