Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chemo Week 3 (CW3) - in review

I apologize in that I'm a little behind in getting this posting done.

CW3 is done! Ethel is in her home at Kaiser probably getting ready to go home with someone else. I tell you, she has no loyalties. However, given the last set of comments sent by many of you, it would seem that there are very low opinions of Ethel. Things written about her such as: "seems to be very controlling;" "too clingy, always needing to be by your side;" "loud and annoying" to describe her. I was even told to "kick Ethel to the curb the first chance you get!" Well, in truth, you all are correct, and I have indeed "kicked her to the curb" for now. The love hate relationship is over for the moment as surgery is the next major event in this adventure.

The way into CW3 went much better given the weight gain and the other improvements to my symptoms. I was stronger and more ready then ever. Joan arrived on Sunday, and off we went to chemo on Monday morn. Things went without a hitch. Tuesday morning I weighed myself and found that I had actually gained a couple of more pounds than I had on Sunday morning (exciting stuff I know, but I surely was!). Unfortunately, Tuesday morning found Joan needing to head home to Chicago to attend to her son who had been admitted to the hospital for a mysterious disease. (It was later diagnosed as salmonella, to which he is back at school today. All is well again). So with my chemo angel leaving, Dave-o & Pete swung into gear and made sure that I was supported throughout this round and during Recovery Week 3 (RW3). There is a chart with names all over it filling in every time slot, 24-hrs a day, 7 days a week. Unbelievable and reassuring. This cadre of caretakers (love the alliteration?) have been supportive, patient, and downright fantastic. I can't begin to express my gratitude enough for all they have done.

The result of the added strength going in and the care that I have received has netted CW3 as the smoothest and least difficult of the 3 chemo rounds. I have not gone nearly down into an abyss as I had in the previous rounds, only finding myself in the fetal position occasionally. I did have a couple of minor cussing sessions with the toilet, but these even seemed to be less intense. Overall, this has gone well (obviously in relative terms!).

I am starting to climb out of the effects of chemo already. Given that this is usually a time that I'm still in fetal position, I have to say the outlook for the rest of RW3 is good (I'm knocking on wood as I write this). I'm looking forward to the possibility of food being enticing again (not there yet). I still have an issue with my white blood cell count being low from this round, however, at this point in time, it's still higher than the last couple of rounds at the same stage. Optimism reigns supreme!

So, all in all, Life is Good, even this week.

Many thanks to the cadre: Dave-o, Pete, Thom, Katherine, Lori, Emilliano, and Veronica (aka Verne, Vernie). Also my many thanks to the spouses of these folks who have them away for the time they are with me.

2 comments:

SKP said...

Hi Steve,

It's great to finally catch up with you, though embarrassingly tardy, as it were. I'm so glad to see and hear your spirits up. Your voice sounds so strong!

Just wanted to reach out and let you know I've had you in my thoughts and prayers. You're an amazingly strong guy and an inspiration to many. :)

Someone pretty important once said,"the race is not for the swift but the strong." While another friend, not so published says, "slow gets ya there." While this journey seems painfully long...I have faith you'll finish it with grace and inspiration to all those around you.

Take time to take care of Y-O-U!

Fondly, Susan Pandis

Unknown said...

Great writeup (with the usual level of positive energy-you need to bottle that stuff!) Rest well and fatten up for surgery :)

T