Friday, September 19, 2008

Endoscipic Ultra Sound (EUS)

Toady's medical procedure is the EUS. This is a diagnostic tool to help with the staging of my cancer. I had this done when we were first getting the diagnosis of back in the June time frame. Basically I get put under sedation and then the real fun begins (I get to nap while others have to work). What they do is put a tube down my throat and take pictures of the tumor and the immediate area. Then the remove that tube and put a second one down which is slightly larger in size. The second tube has an Ultra Sound device on it which allows us to see through the wall of the esophagus and stomach to see how far the tumor has penetrated. It also allows us to look at the immediate area to see if the cancer has spread to it. This is how they discovered that I had a lymph node infected and another suspicious one too. They should also be able to tell me if the tumor has truly reduced in size.

I look to today's procedure as a pretty good one to give me certainty to the optimism I'm feeling about the tumor shrinking. I keep saying that the reduction in my symptoms has to be a result of less blockage of the esophagus and a smaller tumor. Basically I'm hoping that I get validation of that. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck!

Optimism reigns supreme!

No comments: