Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Next Step - More Therapy (and not the emotional or mind type)

Yesterday I had two appointments which my angel Joan accompanied me to. The first was with the thoracic surgeon (Dr. S) in the morning (which I wrote about in my previous posting), the second was with my chemotherapy oncologist (Dr. S2). After the good news from Dr. S that my status is NED (No Evidence of Disease), I was feeling pretty good about the world. Even though the weather had turned a bit dreary, things just looked a bit brighter. Joan & I were high-fiving each other all the way to the recovery car and all the way home.

So it was with optimism that I went in to see my chemo doctor (Dr. S2). When she joined Joan & me in the exam room she discussed the cancer, the removal, and aspects of the disease with us. She went on to say that my cancer was actually stomach cancer and not esophageal cancer. Then she went on to tell me that I would need another 3 rounds of chemo to fight off any cells that may have been left behind from the surgery. This was totally expected news! The new regimen will consist of cisplatnum and 5FU only. She has removed taxotere from the protocol so at least I won't have as many toxins injected into my body. Unfortunately, this regimen means that Ethel the wonder pump will be joining me again as the 5FU will again be administered to me over a 5 day period starting on Mondays. Sorry gang, looks like my not-so-nice girlfriend will be coming back to stay a few times again. Shall I say in my best "Poltergeist" movie voice, "She's baaaaack!" Bummer!

To add to the unpleasantness of facing chemo again, it would seem that Dr. S2 also prescribes radiation therapy, which is to coincide with chemo. Radiation will be given to me once a day, five days a week, for anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. The duration is dependant on what the radiation oncologist (Dr. P2) prescribes. We'll find out more about this this Friday, as that is when I have an appointment with him.

When Dr. S2 announced that radiation is back on the table, you could have knocked Joan and me over by waving a feather at us. Up to this point, most of the feedback from my surgeons (Dr. P and Dr. S) indicated that chemo would happen and that radiation would be held off unless I really needed it. I'm not sure where this change of plan came from, but it really came as an undesired surprise. I'm reserving judgement as to whether I am upset or not about this added regimen until I meet with Dr. P2 on Friday. Until then, I will probably fret a bit, work up my courage a bit, and contemplate how to handle it when it happens. However, I refuse to get down about this until I get more information. Even if the news is tough, don't worry because I'll get through this too!

TJ & Joan have already offered to come back to help out during these times (man I love those guys!). So have many others around here (man I love you guys!). So I know that I can get through whatever these doctors can throw at me. After all, I still plan to beat this thing to a pulp and then spit it out and laugh at it when its completely gone. So even if it means battling non-NED cancer cells and beating them as opposed to a tumor, the victory will still be just as sweet!

Wish me luck! More is yet to come!

1 comment:

bob g said...

S.E.,
So, from what I understand, you've beaten your toughest opponent to a pulp. Ripped 'em to shreds... You're a little banged up and could use a bye week. But the season isn't over until you finish off those pesky non-NEDs. Well, I'm not very good at pep talks - but maybe some of the players you've coached over the years can help me out here.
What Would Coach Steve Say?
Hang in there my friend. Happy Halloween
B.G.
ps, you got me hooked on Keb'