Monday, October 20, 2008

Eating "Trial & Error"

How many times have you used the term "trial & error?" In the case of trying to figure out a diet that I can work with, the nutritionists & medical professionals seem to like this term the best. The bottom line here is that there is not much information in the world on how to feed those of us without stomachs! I can understand this, as this truly is not a common affliction. So it seems that every day is a new adventure in menus, food types, and "trial & error." The unfortunate part is that when the error occurs, I usually end up on the couch lying down with a nasty (dare I say) "stomach" cramp.

We have learned that simple carbohydrates do not work for me. We are learning that there are some things that we expect to be OK for me and it turns out differently. We are also learning that patience is a virtue.

I am hoping that given time, my digestive system will become less sensitive and that my repertoire of foods will expand. In the mean time, "trial & error" will prevail!

5 comments:

bob g said...

Steve,
Sounds like another science project. Hope you're keeping a lab journal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some "trial and success" and starting a petition to Sam Adams brewery to develop sugarless ale. Hang in there pal.
Bob

Anonymous said...

God Bless Pista. I'm hoping you can work up to Aunt Fran's chicken paprikas. I guess chicken soup will do for now.

You are amazing! Keep the faith. I'm praying for you.

-rose d.

Tom G said...

Steve Ebner, I'm so very sorry about what has happened to you, and I wish it weren't true, but at my age you aren't the only friend who has cancer.

Yet reading your blog entries, you actually make me feel upbeat and positive, and that is because you are that way, and always have been that way. It's been a decade or more since I saw you, which would have been on the soccer pitch, playing with Doug and Ski and Suk Lee and TC against my own team. Always exciting games, always tight games, always fun to be part of. Doug emailed me about what happened with you, and although it took me a while, I got on your blog. And I'm glad I did; consider yourself bookmarked. And you have all my best wishes,

Tom Grahame

Tom G said...

Steve Ebner, I'm so very sorry about what has happened to you, and I wish it weren't true.

Yet reading your blog entries, you actually make me feel upbeat and positive, and that is because you are that way, and always have been that way. It's been a decade or more since I saw you, which would have been on the soccer pitch, playing with Doug and Ski and Suk Lee and TC against my own team. Always exciting games, always tight games, always fun to be part of, always fun to meet with you guys and rehash the game immediately afterwards.

Doug emailed me about what happened with you, and although it took me a while, I got on your blog. And I'm glad I did; consider yourself bookmarked. You have all my best wishes,

Tom Grahame

Tom G said...

Steve, I don't know how it happened, but somehow my first blog entry, which I didn't think had gone through, and then my edited one, both went through....so now you know how I try to edit myself!

Tom