Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chemo - Round 1 Done

Thank goodness! I was able to keep it together, but am happy that Ethel is not around anymore. Her incessant talking really began to bug me around Thursday last week. Needless to say that our time apart will be appreciated by me! Having been through this round there there are some lessons that I have learned.

1. I am not superman! My sister took me to her house after Ethel was removed and I stayed there for the weekend recovering. It was necessary, appreciated and a great help!

2. Hydration during chemo is very important!

3. I need to eat more! This has been the mantra for quite a while now, and I just have to get fully committed to it and "just do it."

4. Chemo is hard! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise! However, with willpower, desire, and help you can get through it.

5. Chemo does weird things to you. From what I hear it's different for each person. My senses of smell and taste are very different right now. For a while my teeth felt like they didn't fit in my mouth and my tongue and gums have a very weird sensation to them. This is just to name a few.

So in this prizefight of chemo versus Steve, I think we both were able to land a few blows. I've learned some things for the next round and I think I'll do better then. Although, I'm expecting the toxic build-up might make the next round a bit more tough. However, we'll see! After all, I am a bit of a competitive person and I intend to win this bout.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My money is on you (Joanne echos!).

Susie said...

Hey, Cuz - Glad you made it through round 1. Your Colorado fan club is putting all money on you. Having a support person right after chemo is a must for energy conservation mode. Thx Christy for your caregiving! In the words of our dear OMA - Eat. Eat. A little chubby not too bad. Sending good energy and thoughts for you. Susie

rtj said...

Steve: Glad to see you're keeping a positive energy. It makes all the difference -- keep it up. Charlotte and I are standing by to help in any way. All you need to do is let us know what you need. Bob

Rafael said...

Hey Steve, just wanting to send some support your way, letting you know that we are praying for you. Stay strong, Emily says hello hopes to see you soon.

FureyXTI said...

Steve,
You know the motto - 'Keep on going!!

Get your rest and please take care!! Eat lots of food! We all are behind you and know you are one tough cookie!! (chocolate chip of course!)
All our love and support, Toads and MAD