Monday, July 14, 2008

Chemo - Day One

The road to the cure started today.

I had to do a little prep work yesterday and this morning first. First up, believe it or not I am now a steroid user, dexamethasone twice yesterday, today and twice tomorrow. I can feel my muscles expanding as I write! Actually it is used to enhance the anti nausea meds and to help fight fluid retention. Then numerous anti nausea meds prior to chemo this morning, and numerous more for tonight, tomorrow and into the near future.

OK on to the chemo experience! Start time 0800 (that's 8:00 AM for the non-military types!). I get to meet a number of chemo nurses (Donna, Delaney, and Tiffany). Donna was my main care giver and she was very nice and all business. Delaney relieved her at lunch time. Then, it turns out that I had an acquaintance from St Catherine's, Tiffany Sowa. She checked on me a bunch of times to. Nice to have a familiar face around on staff! Donna & I went through a bunch of stuff together, information on side effects, what to expect, what I expected, nutrition, hair loss possibility, etc. Trying to aborb everything is like drinking through a fire hose! It's a bit much. Then started the actual chemotherapy.

First up, 1000 ml of saline to hydrate me, followed by Cisplatin, followed by 1000 ml of saline, followed by, um, er, um, a bathroom break! OK back in the chemo chair, and on to Taxotere, followed by a 30 ml line flush to make sure all the chemo is fully in my system and not left in the tubing. This took about 6 hrs.

Now comes the fun part! The last drug to be injected is Flourouracil, otherwise commonly referred to as 5FU. I'm not sure I want anything injected in me that's known as "FU" but there you have it. Not much choice in the matter! So the method of injection with this is a little different than the other 2 parts of the cocktail. Where the 1st two were injected in me completely today, this stuff will be injected very slowly over the next 4 days. Let me explain!

5FU will be inject via a portable pump that I will carry with me 24 hrs a day for the next 4 days (to be returned on Friday afternoon). The pump is programmed to inject the stuff at 2.5 ml per hour, all day every day whether eating, sleeping, or showering. I have a constant electric companion complete with its own chemo reservoir. I won't be lonely this week!

So we finally left the chemo portal at 1530 (that's 3:30 for the non-military types!), and now I'm home. Getting 5FU still, and about to embark on a bunch more pills to help keep the nausea from happening. So far so good. Hope they continue to work!!!

Most of round 1 is done, more to come.

Thank-you's to Lori for taking me there, bringing me lunch, hanging with me, and getting me home; Emiliano for the phone conversation and your special brand of humor; Dave-o for calling to check on me; and many others for your support. The love continues and it's great!

9 comments:

toby said...

Steve,
Keep strong. Remember, one day at a time. You WILL get through this.
With love and prayers,
Toby

cgibeily said...

Steve,
I don't know how to say this any other way than you are the man. You are an inspiration to me and my prayers and those of my family are with you. Since you are embarking on a new adventure, I thought you might like this quote: "Go and set the whole world on fire"-St. Ignatius. Interpret it however you wish(hopefully not literally!)

MB said...

Steve- You and your family will be in our prayers. I am glad that day one went well- or as well as it can. Mary beth

Nette53 said...

Steve,
I had no doubt that you would make it through day one with flying colors. I'm keeping the office staff in check - if you know what I mean! Stay strong and keep the Faith.
Janette

micki said...

Hey Steve,
Didn't think a few hundred miles would keep us from sending along our thoughts & prayers, did you? You always set a good example & continue to do so with your positive attitude. It will make a big difference as you continue treatment.
We'll be there in spirit.
Micki (Andrew & Nick)

micki said...

Hey Steve,
Didn't think a few hundred miles would keep us from sending along our thoughts & prayers, did you? You have ALWAYS been a good example to us all & continue to be with your strength & positive attitude. It will make all the difference in the world during your treatment.
God bless you with strength & perserverance.
Micki (Andrew & Nick)

Pamela Guarin said...

Hello Steve,
It's me Pam! Radd's mom.
I first heard about you in church when Fr. Morrow called for prayers.
What's wrong with Steve, I whispered to Raul. Well, myquestion was answered when Emiliano,the comic forwarded us your blog. Raul told me about the unexpected--honestly we both felt devastated.. We read your
blog and even if our heart sank at every word you wrote,we could not
help but notice how you are actually trying your best to comfort your readers in the process and somehow our heart lightened up.. gee whizzz
Steve- you have the perfect attitude and your positive outlook is encouraging and this will be your armor to get through the"hazing" part and become the survivor in the end.
Anyway,I asked several doctors in the hospital about your case. Just in case you are still looking for a 3rd,4th or 5th opinion here's what I have gathered. One Gastro- enterologist told me that the Chemo radiation is the way to go first to shrink the tumor before surgery. But he advises that the best surgeons for your case are in John Hopkins in Baltimore,Sloan Kettering in NY and the Wash Hospital Center as they do
this surgery everyday and they are updated with the new approaches. But
I also asked my anesthesiologist friend here in Suburban Hospital (he used to work at the Wash hospital center). He also assists open heartand thoracic surgeries. In case surgery will be decided for you later after the treatments, your surgery will be considered a thoracic surgery. And as you know Suburban Hospital do cardiothoracic surgeries.
He recommends Dr. Phil Corcoran, an excellent thoracic surgeon here. In
Washington Hospital Center he recommends Dr. Mark Soberman. For
oncologists he recommends Dr.George Sotos or Dr. Nelson Khalil.
You must have done a lot of research already regarding your case. Did you check NIH? Well, they have a National Cancer Institute and they do esophageal cancer studies and trials. Just check it out when you have time.
Steve, please hang in there,esp with the chemo and radiation
treatments. Another friend of ours, was diagnosed of brain cancer last
year and he already passed the treatments with flying colors. He is just recuperating and taking it easy at home now. Since he worked in the Emergency room he could not go back to work as he will be risking exposure to illnesses of ER patients. Please be careful also not be get near people who are sick in your office. Your immune system is usually compromised while you are on chemo.
Where(what hospital) are you getting your treatments? I think I know Tiffany. Is she the beautiful nurse with children at SCL? I think she worked once in Suburban if Im not mistaken. Please say hi for me if she remembers me.
Okey, until here for now. Get some rest and prepare for tomorrow. We
will continue to pray for your full recovery after the treatments. And
thank you so much for keeping us updated with your CA adventure.
Can we call you and what is the best time to call? Please take care. We love you Coach!
Always,
Pam and Raul

Unknown said...

Leave it to you to make us laugh out loud about a chemo treatment! Joanne and I are sending ALL of our good karma your way (we don't need it anyway :)) We'll be reading and posting. Will you be bald when we get back? :)

Joanne and Theresa

Anonymous said...

My best to you. Thanks for sharing your journey with others.

I stumbled on your page doing a Google search because I, too, am Tiffany Sowa. Say hi to the other Tiffany for me. ;)