Saturday, July 12, 2008

How Did I Get Here?

The question has been asked by many (me included), "How did I get this cazy thing?" The answer is - we may never know!
There are some basic facts regarding this type of cancer. So here's what I can tell you:

1. In 2007 there were aproximately 15,500 cases of adenocarcenoma in the esophagus across the US. Of those cases, about 12,000 were white males.

2. Most folks that get this have had acid reflux desease (GERD) for much of their life.

3. The typical age group that get this are in their 60's or older.

4. Other contributors are obesity, smoking, and heavy drinking.

5. There is a bacteria type that can be in the stomach (I think it's called H Pylory Bacteria) that can cause GERD. This bacteria can be a contributor for this cancer.

So, given these basics, the only real contributing factor that I have for this type of cancer is....I am a white male.

My surgical oncologist basically said that we may never know why. My answer to that is fine, let's just get rid of it!!!

No comments: