Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Feel Good - The Great Irony

Singing ( actuallyyelling) to the tune that James Brown made famous, I have to admit that "I FEEL GOOD, LIKE I KNEW THAT I WOULD NOW." This is the irony that I find myself in. I have been recovering from radiation/chemo for quite a while now. My stamina is still building, my appetite is getting better, food is enjoyable again, my repertoire of culinary delights continues to expand, and I find that I can eat things now that I haven't been able to in the past. Heck, I've even been able to stop taking Caumadin (thank goodness) so I don't feel (in true medical terms) yucky. Overall, I feel as physically good as I have in the past year or so.

So how can it be that I'm technically more sick than I've ever been in my life? I find this to be completely ironic. It would border on comical if it weren't so serious. I am truly amazed by all this!

OK, enough lamenting! Here's what's happening these days.

I have been in contact with both NIH and Johns Hopkins. Both organizations show a true interest in me as a possible clinical trial candidate. Quite honestly, if this were compared a sports free agency negotiation, I think that I might actually hold the best hand for negotiating with the teams vying for my particular inclusion in their trials. Essentially, the type of cancer that I present to them is fairly rare. Thus, the chance to use me as a data point in their studies probably has them figuratively salivating over my affliction. This poses another irony. I'm desired for the difficulty of curing my cancer, but I'm in this position because of the difficulty of curing my cancer. Ugh, can become too philosophical if I keep this up. So, I think I should stop this train of thought and get back to updating you all.

OK, both organizations show an interest. I have sent reams of info to NIH & JHU. These include CT & PET scan reports from the beginning to the most recent ones done. Also sent are: pathology reports; blood test results; info from my surgeries; pathology samples & slides from surgery and from my initial diagnosis; post operative reports; and more things than I can remember. I actually sent one organization a 27 page fax trying to answer all their requests and then received another request from them wanting more things that I had to get to them from the Washington Hospital Center. Indeed, this required WHC to get permission to release information to JHU and then another release form to send NIH information. I'm beginning to believe that the bureaucracy to get medical things done is worse than the government bureaucracy (and I work for the government). Please, Mr Obama, get medical electronics records passed through soon!

So, the bottom line is that I am making progress in getting accepted by a clinical trial and expect to hear back anytime from NIH. I already have an appointment with JHU with a couple of their doctors to take a look at me and discuss options.

I have also been generously offered by Molly & Don (friends in Houston) to make use of their home as a place to stay should I want to consider treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center (where Molly was treated and cured). Mary (my friend with the the brain tumor who I've never actually met) has offered her mother's home to me as a place to stay should I want to get looked at by the Mayo Clinic where she is going to for her treatments. It still amazes me how people rise to the occasion to help in these crazy times. (More about this to come still in my next blog)

I believe that once I get all the info regarding my options, the most difficult part will making my decision as to which path to take. I have absolutely no idea how I will do this. I'll likely discuss it with my sister & brother-in-law; some of my close friends; my current doctors; and then pray for some insight. Then after all the input, analysis, and advise I'm pretty sure that the final decision will come from what I feel in my gut is the right way to go. Man, talk about the decision of a lifetime.

Well despite all that is happening, I can still relish in the fact that "I FEEL GOOD." Thanks for the yell, James Brown! It sure reminds me that Life is Good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time you posted an update! Two weeks is a long time for us Ebner-deprived souls to live without news of your state of mind and body! :-)

So I noticed you're closing in on 6,000 views. This may have some business potential... Mind if I take a crack at selling advertising on your blog?

Keep the faith!

Orti

Anonymous said...

i Steve, Lori has informed me of your recent developments and I am sorry to hear of this, just when you think you are on the road again...
Of course if you need a place to crash here in Baltimore I live about 15 minutes from JHH
Jenny
(Lori's friend)

Teresa said...

steve,

i've been wondering when there might be an update from ebnerville!

you have an amazing spirit! i can just picture you singing james brown. for some reason, too, i can picture you dancing like tom cruise in "risky business", not sure why!

you have an amazing fighting spirit and i find you to be so incredibly inspiring. i hope you know we keep you in our daily prayers. keep us all posted on the next steps as they unfold. JHH and NIH are top class medical facilities. how great that they are both so close and accessible.

keep the faith!

hugs,

teri

Linda Fellman said...

You don't know me, but I have been following your blog since my son, Mark Fellman, sent me a link to your site. I am praying for you and I just know you'll make the right 'next big decision', that is of where to go for further treatment. Mark's brother went to JHU and we think the world of Hopkins. I have had type 1 diabetes treated there, and my husband had cancer of the tongue treated there. NIH does the impossible too, so you cannot go wrong either way. If I had a house to offer to you in any of these places, I'd offer it to you. You obviously have put up a gallant fight of a lifetime,and for good reason. You seem to have a wonderful family and I know everyone is rooting for you! With warmest thoughts and prayers, Linda Fellman in Silver Spring
( Leisure World) MD. I guess I'm getting older now but I am 'young at heart.'

Unknown said...

Well, well, well...what can I say except you have once again inspired me to know that know matter how hard life may seem, it is still good! Just know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Be blessed, my amazing friend...be eternally blessed!

Sheri

Unknown said...

Make sure you get into at least one trial! Fight on. Hugs, Theresa & Diego