Saturday, April 4, 2009

Doc, Your Kidding Me Right!?!?!

The first thought that came to mind when Dr. S, my oncologist told me the results of the PET scan were, "your kidding me, right!" Well, she wasn't. Naturally I want to hear that all is well and keep going your merry way until the next set of tests. Then I'd want to hear that again , and again, and again. Well like Dave-o once said to me with a Cheshire cat grin when we were verbally bantering with one another, "How does it feel to want?"

The PET scan continues to cause the concerns that the CT scan started. According to Dr. S, there are a couple of marks on the frontal lobe of the liver that could be metabolically active (I think I got that right). Additionally, the PET scan brought up another concern in the mid-esophagus region. Dr. P (my oncology surgeon) once told me that this was one thing that he was worried about given that he observed skip lesions going up the esophagus during surgery. I am schedule to meet with Dr. S this coming Wednesday to talk about all this and to discuss the next step. We'll see what that brings! The cancer word was not yet used in our discussions. All she said was "concern." My sister & I will find out more on Weds!

If your wondering, I guess you could say that my main emotion here is anger. Having gone through the enjoyment of chemo, tacked on with the fun of radiation, and the shear excitement of surgery (not to mention the pain that followed that ... oops I guess I did mention it); I feel as though there shouldn't be a result of this kind with the notion of follow-on tests. I guess cancer (or that which causes "concern") just doesn't like to fight fair ... the Bastard!

Well, I guess I'll just have to be just as mean and underhanded in my response to it!

So, I have a few more days of suspense coming up and then a discussion of the way forward. My guess is that includes more tests. My prognostic bracket (March Madness reference here) has me in for an endoscopy and possibly some sort of biopsy for the liver "concerns." Only Dr. S knows what she has in mind at this point. We'll find out soon, then I'll let you all know.

Anyway, I'm not letting this stop my enjoyment of things going on around me. My kids start their soccer seasons today & tomorrow. I'm coaching the "greatest 4, 5 & 6th grade girls" soccer team today. I also get to coach my men's team tomorrow (I'm still too weakened to play). I am eating yet a greater variety of foods still. Tonight I get to be the live auctioneer at the gala at St. Catherine Laboure School (a fund raiser) which I've had the pleasure of doing for the past few years.

So life continues, and continues to improve. Basically.........LIFE is Good....still!


10 comments:

tim johnson said...

Prayers for good news on Wednesday.

Teresa said...

we echo tim, we are sending prayers for good news on wednesday. we're sending tons of positive energy and thoughts as well!

hugs,

teri

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if there's anything I can do - besides sending you lots of hugs! - Veronica

Anonymous said...

Many prayers for good news from your meeting this week
Hugs Mia and Tim

Unknown said...

Ugh-ENOUGH! Here's hopin' for ya.

T & D

Molly said...

Steve,

Praying for you! And even when life may not be quite, God is still, good.

Molly

Julie Roddin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Roddin said...

Thinking of you today. You are always in my prayers. Email me if you have some free time, Jeff and I would love to meet up...

julieopl at yahoo dot com.

Julie Oplinger

Mary said...

I'm waiting for you to post good news! Hang in there. The unknown is no fun, but it will all work out! You are always in my thoughts.

By the way, I was having a "down" day today, so I decided to re-read the list of tips that you gave to me. Those really helped. :) Thanks!

Mary

Anonymous said...

God has a way of doing what is right for us. Prayer seems to be at the top of the list. I will continue to pray for you and yours everyday.

In His Grip,

Janice T.