Thursday, April 9, 2009

An Amazing Transformation

Its amazing how things can change in a moment's notice. Back in January, I was one of the happiest people on earth having just completed my last radiation therapy. I was NED (No Evidence of Disease), I kept the doctors from putting a feeding tube in me, and I was on my way back to health. Over the last six weeks, I have been taking a cancer survivor's class at the Wellness Center with my chemo mentor, Toby and 23 other survivors. My taste buds have almost come back from the assault of chemo, and I've been able to learn how to eat again with more knowledge about foods I'm OK with coming daily. Most things were going well for me with some exceptions.

Given all the good things coming my way and my 1st set of scans being taken, I was sure that all would go like clock work. I guess you could say I was feeling pretty confident. So after the CT scan came back with some cause of concern, I felt a bit of concern, but not too much. Then when the PET scan continued the concerns, I felt a bit less confident. I had an appointment to see Dr. S (my chemo oncologist) to get an answer regarding the results.

The appointment is when the great transformation occurred. Dr S informed me that the CT & PET scans show that the cancer was indeed back. Not to mention that it had metastasized to my liver. Thus in one fatal swoop I went from a celebrating cancer survivor who was NED and on the road to recovery, to a Stage IV cancer victim with limited options. An amazing transformation!

I was told by Dr S yesterday & Dr. P (my oncology surgeon) today that they have exhausted all the tools that they have in their toolbox. Thus my options are these:

1. Clinical Trials: experimental treatments going on at places like NIH, Johns Hopkins, or other research centers.

2. Second Line of Chemo: The chemo treatment that I have received was considered the strongest thing that could be thrown at this cancer. Apparently, the cancer did not respond as hoped. Thus, a different set of chemos can be considered, however this set would not be as strong and therefore there is very little confidence that the results would be anything less than what would be desired.

3. Live & Let Live: Basically the statement here was enjoy the rest of my life without doing anything more to fight the disease. As many of you know, this really isn't my style. I'm just hate to lose too much!!!

So without further ado, we are investigating clinical trials with NIH & Johns Hopkins.

The fun is just beginning again. Looks like there is a lot more to go in this cancer adventure. Wish me luck and say a prayer. I can certainly use it!


PS: On a side note, I was able to take a bit of an escape from this craziness by spending much of the day with Lori and Sam (Lori's dog). It was a wonderful respite and much needed. Thanks Lori (and Sam)!

11 comments:

Susie said...

we love you and will keep sending our good thoughts and prayers. will be asking around for more info on clin trials. rest up for the next adventure. you remain an inspiration to all of us!

Anonymous said...

As always, just let me know what you need/want/desire and I'll do my best to help out. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. -Veronica

Molly said...

Steve,

If you opt to look into MD Anderson you are always welcome at our home! It can be a little crazy here, but we have some experience in the cancer patient arena.

And, as always, we are praying!

Molly and Don

Tom Pollak said...

Steve -
It was great to see you at Avenel this weekend. You look like you are ready to be back on the field playing. Hang tough -- we expect to see our center back on the field again.
- Tom P.

Teresa said...

we continue to send positive energy, thoughts, and prayers your way, steve, each and every day.

i am sure that you and your amazing circle of family (the great ebner clan!) and friends will come up with good leads for clinical trials, etc., but we will also search around our medical community as well for info and send along any we find your way.

like susie said, you truly are an inspiration. if anyone can kick cancer's "you know what", it is you with your strong spirit, tenacity, and backup power and love from your great kids, family and friends.

hugs,

teri

Estelene said...

Matt and I are definitely sending our prayers and good thoughts your way. We learned three weeks ago that miracles do happen when Matt's son Chris survived a 72 foot fall while he was ice-climbing. Chris was on "Good Morning America" last Friday (Miracle on the Mountain segment if you want to see it on the web site), and he said during the interview that there is no good explanation for why he is still here. Matt and I just visited him, and we are sure he was carried down that mountain on angels' wings. May your angels lift you up in the very same way!

Unknown said...

Keep up that amazing positive approach to life. You are an inspiration (and I'm not talking about that domination at central defender). Bill

Nette53 said...

Steve,
I too will pray a good prayer for your speedy recovery. I'm holding on to the fact that prayer changes things and you are a true fighter. Know that you will be a true testimony and inspiration to someone out there going through the same thing. Through you they will learn that God's love and comfort wins every time!

Unknown said...

Steve- You are in our prayers! We are praying and hoping for good news soon! Mary Beth

Tom & Kathy said...

The Marino family is with you, pal. Anything, anytime, we're there.

Abner said...

The Saints got you in their thoughts and prayers, Steve. We tied Chipalandia today 1-1, and your mates were down 1-nil when I left. Let me know if you want the name of my buddy at Sloan-Kettering, as we had discussed. Look forward to seeing you back on the pitch!

Abner