Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bob Marley Is Right - Very Right!

The immortal Bob Marley sang a song entitled "Three Little Birds" where he sings (and I quote) " Don't worry...about a thing ....... Cause every little thing ... Is gonna be alright." He repeats this line many times in the song. Well for the past couple of days, I have been singing this in the Mini (my recovery car) with the stereo blasting it out and the sunroof and windows opened for all to hear. In case you haven't figured it out yet, music is very important to me!

I have been visiting NIH the past few days (Friday 4/25, Tues 4/28, and today). They have been testing me in ways that I never thought I'd be tested. On Friday they ran a battery of tests which included: blood work (I do have blood in my veins); ultrasounds of my arms & legs (to prove that my veins & arteries are working without clots ... all is well there); ECHO & EKG (yep, I do have a heart despite popular belief); a chest x-ray (just in case the ECHO & EKG lied, but still confirms I have a heart); a brain MRI (got a brain) so to steal my son's line, I might still need to get some courage :-) ; and then a CT scan of my chest, abdomen, and pelvic region. Yesterday, I had a PET scan to confirm the cancer. Today I had a pulmonary test to prove that I can breath.

After all this testing, I met with Dr. TR (a fellow working at NIH on the clinical trials) and Dr Sch. (the lead of the clinical trials) of NIH. Here's the good part ...

The NIH doctors informed me that they can not find any evidence of disease. After all the scans, tests and reviews, they can not find the tumor on my liver.

They can not find the tumor which is the cause for all the concern. Bottom line here is that the NIH doctors are very confident that their findings are correct after reviewing my previous CT & PET scans and reports and then comparing them to the latest scans & reports. To use their words, I'm a great candidate for the clinical trial except that I do not have anything to run the trial against at this time.

My sister & I were both flabbergasted and were on the verge of disbelief. In an effort to convince us and to prove out the most recent results, I am scheduled for a "3-phase" CT scan on the liver tomorrow. This scan is a much higher resolution scan and more focused on the area of concern. Thus, if this high resolution, 3-phase, "super-di-duper" CT scan comes back negative, then the veil-of-question that I have will be lifted, and I will truly believe these results (although I pretty much believe at this point, I just don't want to move along without leaving every stone unturned).

What a day! Talk about a 180 degree turn! Can we use the term roller coaster here! A month ago I was recovering and a survivor; then all of a sudden I was Stage 4 and fighting for my life; now I may be back to recovering survivor. Wow!

Sorry if this roller coaster is tough on all, I'm just reporting things as I get them! However, with this tidbit of news I can only say that...

Life is Good and looks to be getting better again!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Not only is life good, but more importantly GOD IS GOOD!! I'm so glad to hear this news, Steve. Continue to be blessed, my friend!

Estelene said...

Wow! When I prayed those prayers that the same angels that carried Matt's son down the mountain would lift you up, I have to admit that I didn't have as much faith as I should have that those prayers would be heard. But I am most grateful that God hears even us secret doubters and sends His angels when we most need them. May your tests tomorrow confirm that you can continue to celebrate that life is good!

Teresa said...

steve,

that is great news! good luck with the super-di-duper test! God has heard and is answering our prayers!

hugs,

teri

Janice T. said...

Steve: Prayers really do work. Praise God for all his mercy and grace. I am so happy for you and can't wait to give you a big hug.

God Bless, Janice T.

Anonymous said...

Steve - God Blessings! We are so happy and humbled by your wonderful news.

Mia and Tim

Mary said...

YAAAY!!! I was really hoping for good news, but this is GREAT news!!! I'm so glad! Cancer gave up on you, because you were determined to kill it. Nice work. Hope all goes great at tomorrow's scan!!!

I can't wait to write the same thing on my blog in a few months! :)

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOW! YAY FOR YOU! WTG STEVE! CAN'T FIND THE WORDS TO SAY HOW VERY THRILLED WE ARE FOR YOU! KEEP IT UP!

{{{HUGS TO YOU!}}}

Marilyn K (Rich K)

Anonymous said...

This is the greatest news I've heard in ages!!! - Veronica

Abner said...

So, that means you'll be on the pitch this weekend?! :) Great to hear, Steve!

Abner

Subcom Mark said...

This is amazing news which I shared with my family. My sister-in-law is also inspired by Bob Marley and she says it has even more meaning when heard in Jamaica. When your up for it, you should consider taking the adventure on a relaxing road trip!
Mark

Joanne said...

Amazing!!!! This is the best possible news ever! I'm glad you never gave up! :-)

Joanne

Unknown said...

Wow!
I'm all tingly. So when are you coming to Hawaii?

Stan and Tami

Anonymous said...

This is the best news we've received in a very long time. We are SO HAPPY to get this update. May the rollercoaster remain uphill all the way now! :>)

Unknown said...

It seems to me that you are headed in the right direction - just keep up the good work. God is Good and blesses the deserving!!! We all LOVE YOU!