Monday, January 19, 2009

A Little More Than a Week

Its been a little more than a week since treatments are done. We are about to embark on a new presidential administration. The new year is still newly started, and I started to work again last week (albeit on a part time basis). This is truly a chance for new beginnings. I have a new challenge in front of me now, the challenge of transformation from patient to survivor. Some of the challenges include: gaining weight (I'm sure to evoke much sympathy with this one!); the challenge of getting back to some sort of normalcy; the emotional challenge of which I've heard so much about from other cancer survivors; and challenges that I don't even know about yet. I relish these challenges and look forward to meeting them head on. They are the mark of a survivor, something I'm quite proud of, and yet realize how fragile that statement is. I look forward to a course I've signed up for which is geared towards cancer survivors. I look forward to more time with my kids, something this disease has robbed from me. I look forward to getting back to physical activity as my strength comes back. I look forward to the future!

With all this looking forward to the future, I must recognize that I have some friends (near and dear, and those that I have never actually met but are still close, and some others that fall between these extremes) that are still going through their own fight with cancer. I look forward to supporting them in words and in deeds to help them get to the cancer survivor status. I wish them everything in the world to come through their cancer adventures successfully to make it to survivor status.

So after a little more than a week of survivor status, I have to say that things are going fairly well so far and that my spirits are high. As usual the bottom line is... Life is Good.

Take care all.

1 comment:

Pamela Guarin said...

Congratulations Steve for finishing the final round of chemo!Whew!
We will continue to pray for your remarkable progress.

Love and regards,

Raul and Pam