Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ups 'n Downs, and NIH Results

So as not to keep everyone guessing until the end of a long rambling posting here, I thought I'd give the results early. Today's official NIH results to the CT scan, PET scan and MRI is (drum roll please) ... um ... er ... OK, OK here it is ... "Unremarkable." Everything is clear again. I have now spent the whole of 2009 without the Beast to be found in my body. A pretty remarkable year if you asked me.

Strolling down memory lane, it was about 11 months ago that I was diagnosed as having a recurrence of cancer. It was supposed to have metastasized to my liver (does anyone else remember that "happy" occasion?). Well with that diagnosis there were many ups & downs, mostly downs (candidate for "understatement of the year"). Fortunately the diagnosis was determined to be false and life has improved greatly since! One of the great fortunes of that misdiagnosis (and possibly the only fortune of it with the exception it being a mistake) is that I had the opportunity to get involved with NIH. To date I have not had a bad day at NIH. They were the ones that delivered me the good news that the Beast was not back as was thought at the time. They have also been the ones to continually to bring me the good news that my scan results are unremarkable. They continually bring me clean bills of health with great big smiles on their faces. What more can a guy ask for?!?! So thus we are at the end of a totally Beast-less year, the first of many I hope. I feel good, stronger and getting more so daily, happy, spirited and cured. Brenna asked me today when will it be official that I am actually considered cured. As she put it "a year is such a long time." However, in terms of being healthy, it seems as though illness was such a long time ago, and yet just a few weeks ago. I'll keep taking it 3 months at a time (per Toby's advise, taking one event at a time) which is when my next set of scans are to happen. So to answer Brenna's question, the bottom line is, one year down, four more to go until its official. In the mean time, watch me live.

Have a great holiday season and a happy & healthy new year to all.

LIFE IS GOOD!

5 comments:

Molly said...

Unremarkable IS REMARKABLE!

Here's to an "unremarkable" 2010!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Love,
Molly

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, Steve. I very much enjoy reading about your "unremarkable" tests and years. It's very exciting to hear your good news.

Tom G

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! - Veronica

Anonymous said...

Steve- I'm so happy to read the word "unremarkable" in your blog. Tami and I talk of you often and look forward to seeing you out here; 2010? I expect to be on the east coast before spring.
Stan

Anonymous said...

Steve, what good news to learn. I am so very happy for you.
pamela O