Thursday, September 24, 2009

Where Were You Last Year

Quick ... what you were doing one year ago today?

Most of us have a few days in our lives where we can vividly remember an important event. Many times these moments are associated with tragic moments in history, for example: the Space Shuttle disaster; JFK's assassination (if your old enough); John Lennon's assassination; Sept 11 ... need I say more. Then there are the happy events in our lives: your marriage; the birth of your child; graduation from college; etc. The common characteristic of all these memories are that you were likely conscience for them. Thus the capability of remembering!

Did you remember what you were doing one year ago today? Most of us can't!

Well, not to brag, but I do. It was exactly one year ago today that I had surgery. One year ago I had 1/2 of my esophagus removed, my stomach removed, and most importantly, the Beast tumor removed. One year ago today I became NED (that's No Evidence of Disease). One year ago I was unconscious for most of a day that will live in my memory for as long as I live. Because of one year ago, the rest of my life may turn out to be a very long time. It seems inappropriate to me that such an eventful day should not be a part of my conscience. However, considering the extent of work that was done on my body, man am I glad I was unconscious for it!

So after a year, I have to say that its been a tough year in many ways. I'm still trying to find my new normal and that is a little frustrating at times. However, on the flip side, at least I'm around to find out what that new normal will be. Because of one year ago (along with the chemo before and after, as well as the radiation after) I can say I've had a year...tough or not. So, even though it's been a tough one, I can honestly say its been a great year. I can still honestly say that Life Is Good.

I hope you've had a great year too.

3 comments:

Molly said...

September 24 . . . the day after my biopsy report came back positive for CANCER. The day before my first PET scan. Yes, I have been doing a lot of reminiscing as well. While our part of the country was dealing with the "storm" we called Hurricane Ike, our family was dealing with the storm of a tumor in my chest that would double in size every two weeks.

What an amazingly difficult year it has been. But we are amazingly strong, and, I believe, all the better for living through it.

Here's hoping that the new normal for us, our family and friends, is never the same, but much richer and more meaningful!

Molly

Teresa said...

You are an amazing man! And as difficult and scary as this past year has been, your stormed through and came out victorious. In the process you inspired so many of us. We are so happy for you and praying NED is your BFF!

Hugs,

Teri

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.