Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bionic No More

A little over a year ago I had the pleasure of having a "spare part" placed in my chest. This little device, known generically as a mediport, provided an entry location for chemotherapy to be injected into my veins. When it was placed in me I declared myself "the bionic man" in this very blog sight. The port was a great help in that it saved my veins form the onslaught of needles that were to follow and allowed Ethel (my favorite) to be a part of my life for a week at a time without monopolizing my arm. Unfortunately, it has also provided a reminder to me on a daily basis (every morning) that I have been a cancer victim and patient. While it remains in me I need to go back to the chemo clinic and have the port flushed out monthly so as to avoid infections from it. A monthly reminder of the clinic, the chemo experience, and another needle stick. The positive of the monthly clinic visits are the hugs and greetings I get from the nursing staff there, so I guess its not all bad!

As I am no longer a full fledged patient, but rather a recovering survivor (and it feels really good to say that!) I decided a while back that the "spare part" needs to be removed. I'll admit that losing the bionic man tag will be a blow to my ego, but its a blow that I'm willing to live with!


I e-mailed Dr. S (my chemo oncologists) to get the process started and to get a referral. Naturally nothing comes without debate in this cancer world. Dr. S wrote back that she recommended the port to stay in a year after radiation is completed in case of a (dare I say) recurrence. I responded that I would prefer to have it out and that it could be placed back in if a recurrence were to befall me (which according to Emily and my beliefs it won't...the Beast has been evicted). Dr. S has sent the referral.


So I am now scheduled to become a mere mortal with the removal of my bionic part on Aug 6. It will be an outpatient surgery and looks to be a great deal of fun. Finally, the last vestige of chemo days removed. No more daily reminders and monthly needle sticks. Yippee!


Have a good one all, and remember ... Life Is Good.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

So very, very happy for you, Steve. It has been a grueling, long journey but you have been victorious - a conquerer vanquishing the cancer. I stand in complete admiration of your strength, courage, and faith.

All the best and loads of hugs,

Teri

Anonymous said...

d be there to dance with you. God bless. I will dance one here in your honor and keep you in my prayers. I love the picture of you with hair. That one is the best.

-rose d.

Anonymous said...

great news!!!