Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Word "Unremarkable"

When one thinks of the word "unremarkable" what comes to mind? Go ahead come up with an answer, see what it is. I think of boring, not noteworthy, staid, steady, usual, unexciting. If someone were to describe you or your loved one as unremarkable, I bet it would be at least a little bit insulting to your sensibilities. It sure would be to mine! I don't think anyone wants to be known as unremarkable.

However, when dealing with the world of CT scans, PET scans, and MRI's while searching for evidence of cancer (the beast), the word "unremarkable" is the holy grail of words. All us of cancer types crave this word on the radiology reports when they provide the evaluation of our scan films. The "unremarkable" word can send us into tizzy feelings of giddiness, unending smiles, large sighs of relief, tears, and it can provide a new lease on life. I have been awaiting this word ever since Drs TR & Sch as well as Tricia RN at NIH told me they can not find the cancer beast that was thought to have returned. Unfortunately, the 3-phase-super-di-duper CT scan did not provide the "holy grail" word, but rather the more frustrating word "inconclusive." So, off we went to get an highly focused MRI of my liver as another attempt to get an answer. An answer which would be remarkable no matter what it might end up being. Yesterday afternoon I received the results of that MRI.

I was sitting at my desk at work when the phone call from Tricia RN came in. She said that my MRI came back unremarkable and then went into a bunch of details which I tried to focus on. I kind of got lost in what was being said so I had to ask her to clarify things. Then clarity showed through, the fog lifted, the confusion dissipated. Tricia RN said that the results of the liver MRI show no sign of cancer. I had a clean MRI. Not inconclusive not so-so, but rather unremarkable ... clean ... no cancer indicated! Tricia RN said that in her line of work they don't get to give out good news often enough, and this was indeed good news. Talk about understatements! She then faxed me a copy of the MRI report which states "the liver is unremarkable." Never have there been better words written as a descriptor of me!

I waited until this morning to provide the answer to the blog because I wanted to tell my kids, mom, sister (and her family), Lori, Joan, David, Pete, TJ, Janette, and some other folks first.

As a reminder that this is still an ongoing adventure, and to be extra cautious, NIH wants me to return in one month to repeat CT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvic area; a PET scan of the torso; and another MRI of the liver. This is actually appealing to me (in a demented, twisted sort of way) in that I want to stay on top of "the beast" and continue to keep it at bay. That way I can claim overall victory some day.

For those that may be curious, NIH also reviewed the Kaiser CT scan and Washington Hospital Center PET scan again and believe that what was picked up was waste material in the bowel as opposed to a cancerous mass. Tricia indicated that this possibility was mentioned in the original reports from these scans.

So, I continue on this cancer adventure striving for unremarkable. I hope that my fellow cancer fighters that I have been talking to (Tom K, Mary, Sheri to name a few) will get to "unremarkable" and some others (Toby, Molly, Judith to name another few) will be able to stay at "unremarkable." Its a pretty great place to be!

Life is Good .... even if described as unremarkable sometimes.

16 comments:

SKI said...

I could have told Kaiser you were full of "it." Way to go! Great news.

Teresa said...

that is the greatest news!!!! MARVELOUS NEWS!!! i am so glad i checked out your blog today so we can celebrate with you your happy news!

hugs,

teri

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! This is the greatest news!!! - Veronica

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous news - We are so happy for you at TWC!!

Although you yourself are far from unremarkable, may your scans continue to be so!

All best wishes,
Barbara

Unknown said...

Yahooooooooo!!!!!

Estelene said...

Life is good! Sleep well tonight!

otisebner said...

Yo Cousin,
I would have to say your chest is holding one powerful, strong, and loving heart and is so full of courage that it scared the beast away!
Tim

from the west side of the continent

Newbrough said...

Hey Steve, you made me cry buddy. That's the best news I've had all year. I see a best selling book in your future...illustrated by yours truly..."Unremarkable..the Life and Times of Steve "The Mad Hungarian" Ebner! You must have one chapter titled.."Full of Sh*&% and proud of it!" Now go kick that beasts ass buddy!!!! All the best. Bill

Unknown said...

Hi Steve, great news from around the corner ! Kathy and I have been silently rooting for this moment, and I'm sure we are not alone. Just had to jump in to extend our heartfelt congratulations on your ' unremarkable ' results. You're a remarkable guy. Keep the faith.
Lochers

bob g said...

:) !!!

Dana P said...

Steve, Thanks so much for asking Barbara at TWC to pass on your blog to your fellow (not sure that word applies to all us gals) transitioners. I'm simply thrilled to read your latest news, and absolutely agree that in Cancerland, "unremarkable" and similar nomenclature are the best words ever! Congratulations and continued good health,
Dana

Anonymous said...

Unremarkable can be a very good word. God be with you Steve.

In His Grip,
Janice T.

Unknown said...

way to go, Mr. Unremarkable!

Unknown said...

Great news indeed, my friend! Keep looking up!
-Sheri

Anonymous said...

Steve, what excellent news! It is so good to see that your recovery has yielded...nothing! Godspeed to you!

Tom G

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve - Hollis and I could not be more happy for you and this wonderful news. All the best! Chris